Robotic surgery is an innovative way to make surgical procedures more precise and effective. At Desert West Surgery, surgeons are well versed and trained in using the da Vinci robotic surgical equipment. Robotic surgery or assisted robotic surgery with the da Vinci Surgical System was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2000 and is the most widely used clinical robotic surgical system.
The robotic procedure includes a camera arm and mechanical arms with surgical instruments attached to them. The surgeon controls the arms while seated at a computer console near the operating table. The console gives the surgeon a high-definition, magnified, 3-D view of the surgical site. The surgeon leads other team members who assist during the operation.
The benefits for surgeons and patients are many. Surgeons who use the robotic system find that for many procedures it enhances precision, flexibility and control during the operation and allows them to better see the site, compared with traditional techniques. Using robotic surgery, surgeons can perform delicate and complex procedures that may have been difficult or impossible with other methods.
Often, it makes minimally invasive surgery possible. The benefits of minimally invasive surgery include:
- Fewer complications, such as surgical site infection
- Less pain and blood loss
- Quicker recovery
- Smaller, less noticeable scars
Other advantages include the following:
- Less Trauma on the body with smaller incisions – Some say the top benefit of robotic surgery is that creates smaller incisions than traditional surgery. The part of the surgical instrument that helps make the incision into the patient is much smaller than a doctor’s hands.
- Greater visualization – During robotic surgery, the doctor is able to view the surgical procedure in 3-D and is magnified for a better visualization.
- Minimal scarring – Due to the incisions being smaller, the scars from surgery are tinier and at times hardly even noticeable.
- Shorter hospital stays – Post-operative time is significantly less compared to traditional surgeries. After robotic surgery, patients are less likely to stay overnight.
- Fewer Pain Medication –This what it’s all about! With smaller incisions, less trauma on the body, and less hospital time the patient is prescribed fewer pain medication. The end result is usually a quicker return to normal life!
Ask your Desert West surgeon if he/she thinks you are a candidate for robotic surgery as not all patients or procedures are applicable. Call today at 702.383.4040.